Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Thank Goodness for Rudy

I had some errands lined up for this afternoon. Once the kids were up from their naps (or in Rudy's case, nap attempt), I started working on getting us out the door. A good hour later, after changing 2 diapers, nursing Julia, handling a meltdown and a half from no nap Rudy, searching for my wallet, searching for my keys, grabbing Rudy's shoes and getting them on his feet, preparing a snack, loading the diaper bag, finding the coupon I needed, finding the specific toy Rudy really wanted to bring with him, dressing myself in presentable clothing, and strapping Julia into her car seat, I opened the door to find....

NO CAR.

Apparently, Jason and I had a misunderstanding about whether he was taking his scooter or the car to work today.

Rudy must have noticed my slumped shoulders and fallen face as I soaked in the reality that the car was not to be had nor the errands to be ran. He said to me, "It's OK, the car won't be gone forever, it will come back. While we wait, why don't we go outside and play in the sand?" 
That was a valid observation and quite a mature suggestion from a no napped 3 year old. I decided to go with it, seeing as my frazzled head was still just throwing a fit about all the work I'd done to get us ready for errands that were no longer a possibility.

We went out to the backyard, Rudy beelined for the sandbox, and I slumped into a chair with Julia. A few minutes passed, then my little man  appeared with a bottle of bubbles in his hands. He started blowing bubbles, then offered me the wand. I took it, and next thing I knew, we were all giggling as Rudy went chasing bubbles all over the patio like a knight out to slay dragons. We blew bubbles until my knees were sticky with bubble juice drips and my cheeks were tired from blowing. And then we moved on with our day and enjoyed our errand free afternoon out in the sun, doing nothing in particular. 

Thank goodness I've got Rudy around to remind me how to let go and enjoy what I've got when I've got it.


3 comments:

Kat Curtis said...

Go Rudy Go! What an awesome kid. :)

Stacy said...

Hey! I just found your blog off of Melissa Wilson's!

Can I just say that I LOVE your optimistic, funny and outgoing personality? Your post made me laugh, just like we all usually do the minute you show up in the mother's room on Sundays!

We mom's need to get together for a play date!

Maria said...

Thanks for the compliments, Stacy! We totally should get together...I think the ward playgroup is meeting this Wednesday, right? But beyond that, a moms in the park sort of thing would be fun to do, especially as we hit summer time-maybe in one of those mother's room pow-wows we can hammer out the details. ;)