Tuesday, August 5, 2008

One little monkey, jumping on the bed...


Well, Rudy and I have reached a milestone in our lives: Rudy's first big bump. It's a toss up as to who shed the most tears. I knew the day would come when he'd have an owie that would linger a bit longer than a couple kisses and one round of The Itsy Bitsy Spider, but I still wasn't prepared for it. Not when it was my fault! I had Rudy on the bed (I KNOW babies are safest on the floor, etc., etc., but we were just playing as I was getting ready for a run...) I stepped away for a moment to grab my socks and discovered that Rudy is officially capable of transporting himself through time and space in a blink of an eye. Now you see him, (THUD) now you don't. Yikes! Miracle of miracles, he only grazed the open drawer in his path from bed to floor, and no serious injury resulted. I grabbed my screaming child and examined him as best I could through my hazy eyes. I called my mom for reassurance that everything would be okay, which she eventually got around to giving me, after reciting all the signs and symptoms he may show in the next little while to indicate that something deadly serious had happened. (She's a NICU nurse, can you blame her?) Anyway, within a 1/2 hour things were back to normal in our splendiferous life, though I nixed the run and opted for a quiet stroll around the neighborhood to soothe my frazzled nerves. Looking back on the event with a bit more serene mindset, I realized that Rudy clutched the prize he'd sacrificed his body for through the whole ordeal--a sparkly red pen---as if to show me, "Look! At least I got what I was going for!" He's a determined little soul. I can't wait to meet the teenage Rudy...or maybe I can. :)
Jason came home after all the tears were dry and only Rudy's manly bump remained. He says Rudy's going to be a great receiver someday, since he's willing to sacrifice his body to avoid a fumble.

1 comment:

Kat Curtis said...

Holy smokes - that's quite the bump! I'm glad you both survived through it. :) I love that he held onto the pen the whole time. That's so great.