Sunday, January 30, 2011

Thriving

So, in managing my depression, I'm learning all sorts of things about myself, and what makes me tick, and how I can tick better. Some of them are things I've always known but not valued, others are total epiphanies.

The main epiphany is:
Not all my feelings reflect reality. For example, just 'cause it feels like someone's mad at me doesn't necessarily mean that they are. I may, in fact, be misinterpreting an action (or non-action) of theirs, coloring it with my own issues, and coming up with a totally unrealistic interpretation. I'm learning how to dissect my feelings down into the thoughts that brought on those feelings, and then how to analyze those thoughts to decide if they are skewed in any way or not. Very interesting stuff. There's a whole book about it- "Feeling Good" by a dude named David Burns.

The things I've always known but not valued enough:
  • God knows who I am. I can talk to Him through prayer. He will answer if I listen with my heart.
  • Jesus is my Savior. Not just from sin, but from sorrow too. He knows me completely.
  • Exercise, eating right, and getting enough sleep are supremely important if I want to feel my best, inside and out.
In the wake of my depression, I'm learning how to thrive, and it feels great!

No comments: