Thursday, February 17, 2011

Sweet Victory

Remember how I was gonna have a smack down with this certain bit of the Bonneville Shoreline Trail? Well, I went for my first training run on it yesterday, and it turns out, the trail was not the issue. The trail is beautiful, inviting, and doable. Tough, yes, but doable.
My problem was all in my head. Some people say running is just as much psychology as is it physiology. I believe it. I had myself all worked up about this trail 'cause the first time I went I was unprepared, and the second time I went I had a scary experience. I was convinced the trail had it out for me; that if it had it's way, it would swallow me whole.
Yesterday, I saw a whole different side of that trail. The side that welcomes a runner looking for safe harbor from the noisy, stinky traffic. The side that invites a novice to push herself a bit farther so that she can see what lays ahead. The side that shelters deer, and birds, and probably tons more wildlife that I wasn't observant enough to notice.
I think I'll still run that Timp Shadows 5K, but not to conquer the trail. The trail never needed conquering, just acceptance. What I had to conquer was my self doubt, my fear, my assumptions.
I'm happy to report, the taste of that victory is sweet. :)


Rudy got to have a little horse ride with some nice 'cowboys' who came to ride the trail while Jason and the kiddos were waiting for me to finish my run.

Nothing better than a little dirt on my running shoes! :)

Rudy doing a post run stretch with me. 

No comments: