Yesterday, Rudy and I were eating lunch when I noticed a leaf hopper on our dining room wall. "Look, Rudy" I said, "There's a little bug on the wall." That immediately put the old camp song into my head, so I just had to teach it to Rudy as we munched our *fresh* egg sandwiches. For those who may not be familiar with this classic, I'll give you the lyrics:
"Poor little bug on the wall,
No one to love him at all.
No one to wash his clothes,
No one to tickle his toes,
Poor little bug on the wall!"
After a few rounds of the song,
Rudy hopped down from his seat, got right up close to the leaf hopper and whispered, "I love you, little guy." Then he tried to tickle the leaf hopper's toes...I mean, feet.
Sweet kid.
Today, on the other hand, we were joined by a spider on the same wall at dinner time. It was a just a little harmless house spider, so I didn't think anything of it, and got up to begin cleaning the kitchen. Rudy was really interested and flicked it down from the wall for further inspection. Next thing I know, he's showing me a half squished spider on the rim of his cup, wriggling it's remaining legs in apparent agony. (Do spiders have pain receptors?!) Anyway, besides the fact that a half squished spider on the rim of a glass is GROSS to begin with, I couldn't stand the seeming pain the little creature was in, and quickly completed the squish job. I explained to Rudy about humanely killing things we need to kill, etc. All he had to say on the topic was, "But I liked watching the legs moving around."
Poor little bug on the wall (or rim of a glass). I guess my little man can't be sweet and sensitive ALL the time, huh?
2 comments:
This may be my favorite Rudy post to date. It shows his sweet and sensitive side while maintaining that he is yet very, very boy. What a guy!
I sing that song to my kids too - I call it my "Maria song". I totally thought you had made it up! Our kids could get together and sing that in some future talent show.
Post a Comment