I just had the BEST morning! I took the kiddos with me on our first race as a threesome, and let me tell you, it was AWESOME.
To start things off great, it was a run to support Camie, a friend of mine who is fighting colon cancer. She's pulling it off beautifully--I only hope that I would be able to cope with the things she does with the grace she does it with. It was awesome to be surrounded by literally hundreds of people supporting Camie and her family. There was a great sense of community, positivity, and hope wafting through the air.
Camie and her husband coach the local high school track team. Seeing how many people they have influenced for good made me really excited for Jason to get into the high school scene. It's a beautiful thing, working with teens. They are so full of potential and energy for life, or can be if someone gives them the vision. That's what Camie and her husband have done for countless kids, and I hope it's what Jason will be able to do as well.
Adding to the awesomeness was the chance I had to share something I LOVE (running) with the kids I love even more. Julia was a champ, napping a bit, and otherwise passively taking it all in from her suspension cushioned seat in the "Grand Safari", but it was really a blast watching Rudy take in the full excitement of the race. We chatted about race strategy and body mechanics as we rolled along, trying to catch "Tall Socks" the target we'd chosen near the beginning of the race. He smoked us, but then, he wasn't pushing 90 lbs of kid and stroller. We kept him in our sights until right up to the end, though.an It was a great opportunity to talk about choosing to try for hard things, and being proud of ourselves even if trying is as far was we get. Anyway, I was totally digging the opportunity to have my little "Grasshopper" hanging on every word of athletic philosophy I cared to share. I pushed myself chasing Tall Socks and finished in 32 minutes-a time I'm totally proud of.
| Pre-race |
| Post race victory shot. |
| Chillin' at the after race festivities. |
| Rudy busting out some smokin' dance moves to the live band. |
Rudy was enthralled with the drum set, and asked the drummer if he could look at it up close after they finished playing. She was kind enough to offer him the drum sticks and a chance to actually play it. He was in heaven. ;) This was the band's first gig ever. I overheard them lining up another one with someone who wanted them to play for another benefits event coming up. I hope they go as far as their dreams will take them-they're a great bunch of kids and talented to boot!
1 comment:
What a fun race! The videos are just adorable. I wish I could have done it. I had class :(.
Post a Comment