Sunday, June 26, 2011

On Wearing a Baby

Julia spends alot of time in the BabyBjorn. Alot. I sometimes call her my little marsupial because she's in her 'pouch' so much. Back in the super fussy early days of her life, it was the only way to keep her from screaming all the time. Now, it's the easiest way to keep track of two active kiddos when we're on the run.
Last week, I took Rudy out on a Mommy-Rudy date, and was out in public without my adorable little baby strapped to the front of me for the first time in weeks. I realized that I just might have an over inflated concept of how friendly strangers generally are.
With Julia attached to me, EVERYBODY smiles, says hi, makes eye contact, etc. It makes me feel like I'm living in Mr. Roger's Neighborhood, and I LOVE IT!
Without her, the world just sorta brushed past me. I even had my super cute three year old with me, but I guess 3 year old boys covered in frozen yogurt just don't attract the same kind of gregarious behavior as 7 month old girls strapped to their mamas do.
When I realized that it's Julia that turns me into an instant celebrity, I felt a bit sheepish for taking the credit all these months. All this time that I've been smiling back at what I thought were spontaneous gestures of goodwill, it's been Julia working her baby magic on everyone she can manage to make eye contact with. I don't blame them, mind you. I can't help but brighten when she gives me that smile of hers that lights up her whole face.
Now I know if I ever need to boost my faith in the goodness of the world around me, all I have to do is strap my little social butterfly on and head out the door. Julia will take care of the rest.

2 comments:

Alicia said...

I can see how she inspires conversation. What a sweetie! :)

Maria said...

Thanks Alicia!