Friday, June 3, 2011

A Virtual Race for Autism

A blogger buddy of mine is putting on a virtual 5K to raise money for a special autism classroom her son attended in elementary school. Here's what she has to say about his teacher: "What a blessing it is that the school district can provide a teacher like Mrs. Cameron to families like us. We were convinced that in order to get Coleman the help he needed that we may have to put him in an expensive private school (which we really couldn't afford) but were pleased to find a teacher like Mrs. Cameron who works her miracles at a nearby public school.  She does have to work within the confines of a state-funded budget, though, and with budget cuts being made throughout the schools, I know she could use our help. She does an amazing job with what she has (and no doubt spends her own money, too, as so many teachers do) but we are hoping to be able to raise some money for her so that she may continue working miracles for the families that have the good fortune of crossing her path."

My new running buddy, Alissa agreed to join me in the virtual race, so we headed out for 3.1 miles this morning. Here's my documentation of the run. We just did our normal run/walk deal, so we didn't break any speed records, but we had fun doing it, and I got some tips for potty training to boot, so I'd call it a productive morning, for sure. :)

You still have 'till June 10th to do your own 5K and join the virtual race. Check it out on Alicia's blog and see all the great prizes she's offering participants. 
Julia and me ready to roll. :)

Alissa and me barely containing our pre-race enthusiasm. ;)

Finished in just under 40 minutes with a 5 min walking warm up and run 2, walk 2 workout.

Um...I'm thinking I'm a bit of a runnerd. Or just a plain old nerd.  Whatever, I'm loving life, and that's what's important, right? ;)

1 comment:

Alicia said...

Love the pics and so glad that you had fun. Thanks for posting! I'll be posting an update soon!

PS. You are totally a runnerd. ;)