Julia and I embarked on the Big Switch over Christmas break, when I'd be home more and not have to feel so guilty about leaving my parents with a wet (or worse) time bomb to babysit. It also helped that Julia's lovely cousin, Michaela stayed a few days with her family here, and Julia got to see Michaela (who is not quite 1 year older than her) use the toilet with style and constancy that were truly enviable.
I bought Julia training underwear (those thick cotton cuties) ;) just like Michaela's, put a no dipes unless sleeping rule on the table, and went at it. For the first few days, it was all about cleaning up messes. I *almost* caved and considered offering chocolate chip rewards for bottom on the toilet time, but resisted. (Hey, I had just participated in a Food Revolution meeting in which we were strategizing how to convince teachers that kids really, truly do NOT need food rewards to motivate positive behavior. How could I preach one thing, and do another?*)
*OK OK, I have to confess that we are still weaning off of chocolate chips first thing in the morning if the kids follow their sleep rules the night before....but that came into being BEFORE I learned how much better life can be without tying food to things not relating to nutrition.
ANYWAY...I persevered, telling myself that that this messy part of the learning process was, indeed, PART OF THE LEARNING PROCESS, and that Julia was learning important things, even if her behavior didn't quite show that yet. I wanted to stick to my guns about making learning to use the toilet all about mastering an important self care skill. We did lots of talking about listening to our bodies, and giving them what they need, etc. I found myself making unusual statements like "Hey, Julia, guess what my body's telling me? It's telling me it has some peeps to get rid of, and I am going to listen to it! Wanna come with me?"
Finally, about 4 days into it, we got our first 'catch'. Julia caught her peeps in the potty instead of in her underwear. HooRAY! After that break through, things moved along at a marvelous pace, and today we are footloose and diaper free. (Except for bed and nap times. She's probably ready for that too, I just need to get a second water proof cover for her bed so we can make middle of the night changes if needed.)
So, there you have it, the latest, greatest Drummond family news. Huzzah! :)
1 comment:
YEAH!!!! so jealous.
Post a Comment