A while back, Rudy and I discovered this instruction page on the Boy's Life website. We decided right then and there that as soon as we got some decent snow to work with, we'd be building ourselves a snow cave and sleeping inside it. Our anticipation grew as winter progressed. At last, the grand weekend arrived: enough snow, enough time, and even Aunt Keala staying the weekend, giving us freedom to keep working even after Julia was ready to tap out.
Two days, oodles of wet gloves and even more cups of hot chocolate later, we had created our first ever Quinzee. Not quite like the info page, but close. We are both quite pleased with the way it turned out for our first snow shelter ever constructed. Even though the forcast was for 2 digits below zero that night, Rudy and I decided to give our shelter a go. We bundled up, brought out all the spare bedding we could fit in our little cave, and armed ourselves with hot chocolate in a thermos. We also agreed that if we weren't warm and toasty, then it would be perfectly acceptable and 'in the plan' for us to relocate our Mommy-Rudy snow campout date into my bedroom.
We lastet 60 glorious minutes out there before deciding that we just weren't going to make it to the warm and toasty level of comfort in the snow cave. Neither of us were dreadfully frigid, but we didn't want to wait for that to happen, just to be safe. (Sleeping while fighting hypothermia is ALWAYS a losing battle.) So, we trucked back in, received a hero's welcome from my parents, shed our massive amounts of clothing, and tucked into my bed.
Sleeping with a 5 year old AND a cat in a twin bed (Rufus refused to relinquish his claim on the bed, despite all the accidental pokes and pushes he received as we tried to settle ourselves.) made for a long night and a short sleep but it was fun, none the less.
Rudy and I had an epic weekend together, living out a dream we'd held for maybe a month or two. And that, most definitely, was worth the 'moving through jello' feeling of exhaustion the next day. :)
1 comment:
Ha! I love having a fun childhood to bask in. Makes it so easy and natural to have fun with my own kids now. :) Hey, I'm not seeing my video come up on the post now, though. I guess it came up ok for you though, huh? Any blogging advice about phantom videos?
I love ya Lydia!
Post a Comment