Thursday, November 20, 2008

We Can Do It!

I read Alice Walker's "The Color Purple" at the beginning of the week. A pretty intense story of a black woman living in the South in the early to mid 1900's who spends most of her life just trying to survive all the hard blows (sometimes literally) life deals her.
I can understand why it's on the banned books list, though I'm very glad I read it. It helped me to finally really get a clue about what life as a woman was like before all the women's rights stuff happened. It made me really grateful for the freedom, dignity and confidence I enjoy as a woman of this generation. I can only imagine how many women's shoulders I am standing on, who, over the last few generations have fought, prayed, and persevered to give their daughters a better world. I always thought the "We can do it!" poster was a little over the top, but now, I find myself cheering on that steel worker chick and saying, "Yeah! We CAN do it! We can do whatever we put our minds to!"

No comments: