Friday, November 28, 2008

Rudy's First Haircut!


After a bit of a shabby start, Rudy's first haircut turned out to be a success after all. Originally, I tried to cut his hair by myself. One exceptionally bald patch later, I decided to call upon greater experience. A friend and neighbor of mine is a beauty school graduate and mother of two. She cuts baby hair with a grace unimagined by someone such as myself. :) She even managed to almost fix my blunder.
Rudy did awesomely well, which was quite encouraging to me. Maybe next time I'll give it a shot with Jason's help. Here are the tips I learned about cutting a baby boy's hair:
1) Have the baby sit on some one's lap who can help keep little hands out of the way, etc.
2) Interest the baby in something: a toy, a movie, etc.
3) Begin by going around the 'parameter'. Hold the hair in your fingers and then cut. (This helps with the curious turns of the head issue that resulted in my bald patch incident.)
4) Next, put the baby's hair into a mohawk and give yourself a guideline for how short you want to trim the hair.
5) Now gather pieces of hair in your fingers perpendicular to the mohawk cut and even out the long pieces on either side to match the cut you made in the mohawk.
6) Progress down the sides of the head, matching the length you have established.
7) If you're feeling really gutsy, you can blend the cuts by combing the hair up on the sides and just taking a tiny bit off the edges.
8)Voila, you have a smashingly dapper young man before you. (And ultra fine hair bits everywhere you don't want them) :)
Maybe those instructions aren't specific enough to ensure success for someone who hasn't seen it done, but I'm hoping that in a month, when I'm trying to touch up Rudy's hair, it will be enough to jog my memory.

1 comment:

Samantha said...

Rudy looks great! You were brave to try and cut his hair yourself. I've done Ella's a couple of times and it is definitely a two person job, though Jordan managed it by himself last time!