
I would say I finally got myself motivated enough to seek out and obtain flu vaccines for my family.Jason would say the propaganda's finally gotten to me.
Maybe it has. I have to admit, I was feeling this vague sense of patriotism as I took my place in the vaccination line. Patriotism? For getting a flu shot?
Yep. It must be all those posters out there saying stuff like "let's pull together and beat this thing". Like we're fighting a foe instead of a flu.
Well, anyway, it's done (except for Rudy's one month boosters). And that gives me a sense of accomplishment at least. Our insurance covers the vaccines at %100, so I was feeling pretty lame for not bringing my kid in for this supposed life saving serum. Who knows, maybe it is really as important as the Health Department is presenting it.
The whole process was really pretty easy. I had to pick up 'tickets' for the H1N1 vaccine on Monday for a Tuesday 'appointment' time. While we were there, Rudy and I got our seasonal flu shot. The line was barely noticable-about what you'd deal with at a grocery store (unless, of course, you chose to shop at Wal-Mart on a Saturday-a mistake I've only made once.)
The next day, all three of us showed up for our H1N1 shots. Maybe we kinda bent the rules about the priority groups-but Jason does work in a "health care" setting-mental health that is. And my body just barely figured out it wasn't pregnant...I think my immune system is probably still compromised by the whole thing. Anyway, we decided to all get vaccinated to lower the risks for Rudy since he gets croup every time he catches any flu virus.
So we showed up today, waited in another painless line, and then entered quite the intimidating room. Imagine a large conference room with about 10 nurses' stations set up near the back of it. You get shuffled to one of the lines and wait as you watch screaming children being ushered or carried out of the room by their parents. Your ears are constantly greeted with screams afresh, as each child gets poked in turn. It was kinda like that feeling you get while you're slowly creeping up the first giant hill at the beginning of a roller coaster you're not quite sure whether you can hack or not.
I'm not a squeamish person at all when it comes to getting shots, but I've gotta admit, I had butterflies in my stomach by the time it was my turn. All that anxiety just rubbed right off on me, I guess. Poor Rudy started crying right when Jason got poked, even though Jason did his best to reassure him that he was totally fine, and kept crying through my turn, his turn, and the whole trip out to the candy machine. Once he got to trade his prize quarter in for some skittles,though, the world was again as it should be.
Anyway, propaganda or not, my immune system will be busy setting up adequate 'defenses' against the dreaded flu in the next few days. I have joined the ranks of (enter cheesy theme music) "FLU FIGHTERS"!
No comments:
Post a Comment