Thursday, April 15, 2010

Keeping Watch

It's 10:13 pm. I'm getting up at 5:15 am tomorrow. And I'm 9 weeks pregnant and need more sleep than my toddler to function. WHAT AM I DOING???

I'm blogging. And keeping watch over my little home and family. Today is the first day since I sent Ty home that I miss him.

Within the last week, the homes on either side of me have been visited by some mysterious intruder. Someone who just leaves the front door wide open and doesn't take anything of any significance from the home. (One of my neighbors was missing the roll of TP that she had on her dispenser in her bathroom.) Strange. Eery. Unwelcome. Hopefully nothing more than some dumb kid, but still.
One incident happened last Friday, the other happened today. Both in the middle of the day.
I just found out about all this around 4 so this afternoon, when I decided to listen to my messages and got one from Jason at work wanting to make sure we were ok 'cause our neighbor had stopped him on his way to work to tell him about the intruder. I didn't worry too much until I realized that we had left the back door unlocked for the 3 hours we had been out earlier that day, and I hadn't been in the basement since.
I had to go down there to fetch something about 2 hours later, and totally announced myself and my intentions to my empty (hopefully) basement, just so if someone was hiding down there, they could successful remain hidden and not feel any reason to change from flight to fight strategies. That's when I realized I needed to do something so I could sleep tonight. So I called my big brother. He came on over and checked through my whole house-all the nooks and crannies until I felt sure no one was going to come slithering out of some closet as soon as the house was quiet. But still. It's creepy. I get creeped out super easily, and the fact that Jason had a nightmare like 2 nights ago that he came home from work to find a serial killer had slaughtered Rudy and I does NOT help me be any braver.
So, here I am, waiting for my husband to get off the late shift and take his place as protector in the home. Meanwhile, I'll just keep watch, and hope I don't see anything.

3 comments:

Maria said...

Yeah, it was definitely reassuring to have Jake there. We're all within 45 minutes of each other (which is kinda funny since we're all transplants to the area). Jake and his family are only like 4 minutes away, though, which is super nice. :)

Nancy said...

That doesn't sound fun at all--I'm a little paranoid when Andrew isn't at home, too. Hopefully the whole intruder-thing gets worked out soon. My parents' neighbourhood had a similar thing happen and it was just that--dumb kids. But still scary.

Samantha said...

Ooo, that's creepy. I'd be nervous too! I'm glad your brother lives close enough to help you feel safe.