Sunday, January 30, 2011

Smack Down

There's this trail near my home. It takes you on a climb up a mountain, then levels out a bit, then climbs and dips and climbs and dips. Oh, and there's lots of rocks just to make things more interesting.

The first time I ever ran it was about 4 years ago. I joined up with this hard-core running club for a trial run to see if I'd fit in. They said runners of all levels were welcome. Ha.
By the time we'd finished our 'warm up' on the paved road that climbs the mountain to the trial head, my butt was pretty well kicked. And then we started running. The club members were actually very supportive and kind, but they were WAY out of my league, and I knew it. I tapped out at the first access road down to civilization, and headed home, defeated.

Fast forward 3.5 years. I'm training with a friend, I'm feeling pretty confident, and I'm in my early pregnancy with Julia. I decide to face my nemesis trail at my own pace. We walk the whole way up the access road. We jog along at a pace just faster than a trot, not because we want to enjoy the scenery, but because if we went faster, I'd be gasping for air (never good, but especially not good when you're trying to oxygenate TWO bodies). Like 1/4 of a mile into it, my friend catches a rock with her foot and I hear the sickening sound of someone desperately yet unsuccessfully trying to regain control. Stumble trip, trip stumble...THUD. All I can say to my poor crumpled friend is something stupid like, "Are you OK?" Well, my friend is super tough, so she pulls herself up from the dirt and does her best at a cheerful, "Sure...I think." We tap out at the very same access road that had been my saving grace years before after seeing that her elbows are both gashed up, and her pants are torn at the knee. It scared me 'cause I thought, "Wow, that could have been me, and what if I'd have fallen on my baby, or been injured more seriously and lost the baby as a result?" I decided trail running is not a good idea when one is pregnant, and never returned that season. In my heart, though, I wanted to conquer the trail that had chewed me up and spit me out, TWICE.

Now I have my chance. I just found a race that is being held on that very trail, and I'm going to run in it. I'm going to sail right past that access road, and keep going. I'm going to complete that race, and tame that trail. I'm going to train for it, hitting all the hills I can between now and April (when the race is being held). I'm going to run on the very trail at least once each month before the race, and I'm going to rock my strength training workouts so I'll have every chance of beating that sucker with a smile on my face, and all my limbs in tact.
One of my running goals this year is to give trail running a good try and see if I like it. What better way to re-enter the racing world after giving birth, than a smack down with my nemesis trail? Bring it on, baby, bring it on!
Rudy giving my new trail running shoes a test run to make sure it will be safe for me to run on the snow. After a little shuffling around, Rudy proclaimed, "OK Mommy, I think these will work just fine." Thanks, kiddo. Glad to know you've got confidence in my footwear. :)

1 comment:

Marla said...

You are going to school that trail! Finally show it who's boss. (It's still my boss, unfortunately.) Can't wait to hear how it goes (and maybe get the guts up to join you on one or two of those monthly trail runs). :)