Thursday, March 3, 2011

Eric Carle Appreciation Day

Rudy and I watched the "Giving and Receiving" Mister Rodgers episode the other day. It features a visit to Eric Carle. After the video, we were both excited to try out what Eric had just showed us and we got out the finger paints. 

 We filled pages of doodle paper with color, experimenting with tools including fingers, paint brushes, cardboard scraps, scrap wood, and  bubble wands. Rudy actually never used his fingers. "Dude-it's FINGER paint!" I tried to explain. Nope-not having it. He looked at me like I was streaking through Central Park or something really crazy like that when I piled on the paint and squooshed it around with my (gasp) fingers!
Funny, we've had this finger paint for almost a year now, and he's dabbled with the idea of using his fingers before, but usually the best I can do is convince him to let me paint his hand with a paint brush, which he'll then use as a stamp of sorts on the paper. Every man to his own, I guess. ;)

 Then we let our papers dry.

During naps, I drafted simple portraits of our family, then cut and pasted with Rudy. He loved identifying who each person was. Rudy was the one that suggested I make my hair blue, since we didn't have any darker brown and my hair color is quite different than his and Jason's. Perfect. I've always wanted crazy colored hair and now, I get to live out my fantasies every time I walk past our Splendiferous portraits (which I taped up on our hallway door to be sure I get to walk past them often.) :)

3 comments:

Nancy said...

That sign looks awesome, Maria. You should frame it. And I'm not even kidding!

Happy Harrison said...

are you kidding me!? that is the coolest picutre I've ever seen. you should DEFINATELY frame it. (and make one for my family). I could never make something like that. you're amazing!

Maria said...

Thanks, ladies-you are too kind!