Thursday, March 31, 2011

Meet the Chickens

Sunflower Lilac

Sunny

Kung Pao

Lois

Moony

Rudy named Sunflower Lilac, Sunny, and Moony. Jason named Kung Pao. We kept Lois's name from her first owner.

We've had the hens for 5 days now. They have already graced us with 12 beautiful, scrumptious eggs in colors of cream, brown and blue. They're great company in the backyard (except when they infiltrate my spring garden-they have obliterated 3 young kale plants already. I'm working on some solutions.)

I'll work on a post all about why we got hens and how much we love them and all that later. I just wanted to take a second and show off our very first flock of laying hens!

4 comments:

Nicole said...

That is so cool! Katie has some too. I am grateful that you didn't get any roosters :)

Matt Parks said...

Wow. That sums up my reaction. Wow. I'm very impressed.

Egg-laying Hens! I'm still trying to want to want to have a garden! (Yes, two "to want"s.) Chickens! The day I'm ready for Chickens I may as well be translated! Way to go!

Kat Curtis said...

That's great! I have some friends here who are going to buy chickens too - I'd love to hear your story with those. And your solution with keeping them out of the garden too!

Happy Harrison said...

Hooray! I'm so excited to hear more.
(have ya stepped in any of their crap yet? that's one reason we're holdin' back for a while.)