Thanks to the generosity of Lauren's grandmother, we found ourselves the custodians of a 5 gallon bucket filled with succulent peaches. I decided it'd be a great opportunity to learn how to can. First came pitting, skinning and cutting up the peaches. Easy. I've done it tons of times before. Except that usually I'm doing it at a one peach per session rate. You know, peach fuzz is quite deceiving. I've always thought of it as the epitome of soft lusciousness. Turns out the stuff is BRUTAL!!! It's like tiny little razor blades that creep their way all over your hands and arms. Maybe I'm a peach fuzz baby, but I'll tell you what, I definitely have a new respect for the fruit's defense system.
After preparing the fruit came the new territory: canning. With Oma's canning pot, and Mutti's step by step guidance through the process, I found that canning in and of itself is not complicated at all. I think I'll do it again. And again. And again, so long as I can find cheap to free food to can. :)
.jpg)
.jpg)
Of course, Rudy could not be left out. Here he is warming up the can grabber thingee so that it would be ready to perform when the time came. What a good little helper. ;)


2 comments:
Funny how when you're a mommy, EVERYTHING (as long as it's baby proof, of course) suddenly turns into a possible distraction for the little one that's virtually attached to you. I can see the scene now (only because it's happened to me oh so many times)....Rudy's demanding attention, you're busy doing the canning, in an attempt to pacify/fascinate/distract him for a few more minutes you give him whatever happens to be in your hand at that particular moment...Here Rudy, take this canning thingy. And there you have it...an adorable little picture was born.
Fun updates! Rudy is so darn cute. I'm impressed that you've canned! Go Mo!! I have all of my mom's canning stuff, tons of jars.....and have yet to can anything because I'm too much of a wuss. :P That, and I need to find some things cheap as free to can too. BUT, you've inspired me to try if I find such food items, so thank you.
Post a Comment