
Oma Vera and Opa Rudolf
Grandpa Wayne and Grandma Deane

The two Rudy's check each other out for the first time
The two Waynes in Grandpa Wayne's garden
I'm reading about Lehi and Nephi in Helaman right now, and how their father counseled them to remember who they were named for and to honor those names. It made me remember that I haven't put up anything about the origin of Rudy's name.
I've always liked knowing that I'm named for my grandmother (on my mom's side), and I love hearing what she was like from my mom, so this post is for you, Rudy! We named you after two of your SPLENDIFEROUS great-grandfathers: Rudolf (my mom's father), and Wayne (Jason's mom's father). Rudolf (Opa to me) is Austrian, so no one thinks of red-nosed reindeer when he introduces himself there, but since you're American, and a December baby to boot, we thought we'd better go for Rudy instead of the full name, Rudolf. Opa was called Rudy throughout his childhood anyway. I've had relatively little contact with Opa, seeing as we are across the world from each other, but I always feel so loved by him whenever he gets to visit. Some things I love about Opa:
His warm smile and open arms.
His dedication to the gospel.
He takes good care of his health.
He is a spunky grandpa-he has a great sense of humor.
He can be formal and respectful when appropriate, but also fun loving.
Opa is a survivor: He was dealt a bit of a tough hand as a child, but he's made those cards work for him. He came from a single parent home with little resources but was able to get through dental school and make a life for himself and his family. He made it through Nazi occupation, being drafted into the army, and being shot down over enemy lines. He survived the heart break of losing his first wife, Maria, to an extended illness. I respect Opa's resiliency, and his faith in God and in the goodness of life that has helped him to remain filled with hope for the future. He's in his 80's now, and he joked that we need to let him know when you are getting married so that he can perform the sealing for you and your wife! (Opa sealed Jason and me, and was in the states to seal Jake and Kirstyn when he got to meet you for the first time.)
I'm getting to know Grandpa Wayne much better this summer while I garden in his yard. Before, I just took Jason's word that Grandpa would be a good man to name our baby after--now I know for myself! Grandpa fought in WWII also, although under different circumstances, of course. I don't know too much about his war experiences, except that he loved to fly those planes! He had a whole basement full of model WWII airplanes he'd built and painted until just recently, when he gave them away to family. You have one of the planes in your nursery now!
The things I love about Grandpa Wayne:
He is a hard worker.
He respects himself and others.
He dishes out the best, most sincere compliments I have ever had the privilege of receiving!
He cares meticulously for all that is in his stewardship.
Grandpa Wayne is the kind of person that makes you feel great to be around, and makes you want to always do your best. He always has a kind word for you. When something needs getting done, Grandpa doesn't hem and haw, he just does it, even if he's tired or not feeling well.
Rudy, you're named for two great men, and you're living up to their standard marvelously. I love to see your personality growing and stretching its wings as you get bigger and bigger!
No comments:
Post a Comment