For quite some time Maria has been gently reminding me that I'm also set up as a contributor on this blog. And for quite some time I've nodded my head in agreement while in the back of my head never thinking I would ever actually sit down and write something here. It's not that I have anything against blogging (although I think I actually sort of do). I'm just not what you would call 'hip' or 'with it'. Last month was the first time I'd ever send a text. I only check my email, maybe once a week, if even that. I'd rather walk ten or fifteen minutes to some one's house than talk to them on the phone.
I've also failed more times that I can remember at starting an actual journal. So, my hopes weren't too high that I'd ever actually contribute a posting here. However, this week I had some big changes at work, and once again Maria suggested that I should post about it.
For the past 9 months I've worked directly under an idiot. I try not to be a harsh and judgemental person; but, after 9 months of covering for, excusing, and explaining his mistakes and inadequacies I think I'm qualified to comment on his lack of ability to do his job. I've tried for some time to find the best way to describe him when explaining my frustration to others. And it wasn't until two weeks ago that I was actually able to find the perfect example. If anyone has ever watched the sit-com 'The Office' on abc (if you haven't take the time to stop by abc.com and watch an episode, it is quite funny). My supervisor at work is exactly like Steve Correll's character on that show. He's bumbling, inept, has poor social skills, and usually (like a small child) makes things worse because of all his 'helping'.
So that brings us to this week when the powers that be made a change in the format of some of the residential staffing at Heritage. An entire unit (what we call the groups of clients we work with, in this case, about 11 kids) would be done away with, the boys shipped off to other units, and the staffing and approach of that whole unit would be rebuilt. In all about 12 staff, from the lowest part time weekend staff to my boss's boss, were effected by this change. However, one other staff and myself were the only ones who would not be changing jobs or units we work on. And this is how my wholly unqualified supervisor was shipped off to staff the new unit and he was replaced by a great, qualified, hard working, socially coherent supervisor pulled from the unit that was decommissioned. Anyone confused yet?
Long story short, that is why Maria and I were celebration the end of a very difficult and frustrating period at my employment. I have a lot of positive expectations for how my environment at work will be from here on out.
Well... that wasn't so bad. Maybe I'll be contributing more in the future......... maybe
1 comment:
Ha! Way to go co-contributer! What a cool surprise to log onto our blog and find a new post! I love you!
Post a Comment