I'm house sitting for my parents for a couple days. Well, more like pet sitting. They have two cats, a dog, and a hamster living with them. The cats were gifts to my brother and sister about 10 years ago. We didn't really think 15 years ahead when we bought them, so they've been charges of Mutti and Vati since my younger siblings moved out into "no pets" apartments. The hamster is my sister's. She's moving into a new place as I type, and I guess she's tired of keeping her hamster hidden during apartment checks and the like. I'll be taking GusGus the hamster home with me when I'm done here. He's an elderly fellow, so we'll be his hospice center-Heidi predicts he'll be gone by the end of the year. In the mean time, we'll have a fuzzy little friend to keep us company in the apartment. I think it'll be fun-especially since Heidi's still gonna do all the cage cleaning and food etc purchasing. I'm just boarding him, really. A perfect arrangement, if you ask me. If only she had been smuggling a guinea pig into her apartments. They're way cooler (though noisier and stinkier) than hamsters. :)
Anyway, let me tell you about my day. I've been a bit nervous about how it would go, 'cause Sam, their dog, is an over 50 pound 8 month old lab puppy, and he's really energetic. He tries real hard to be good, but sometimes, he just HAS to misbehave. Between Rudy and Sam, I was worried I'd be a frazzled heap of nerves by the end of the morning, not to mention the day. So, I've been pleasantly surprised at how recharging and productive my day has been.
Both Sam and Rudy slept in until almost 8:00 am. Hobbes (one of the cats) did his usual 5 am batting of my face and nipping of my ears, but he was thwarted with a simple pillow over the face maneuver. :) I slept until about 7, then had about an hour to myself to get ready for the day, prepare both Rudy's and Sam's breakfasts, and even do my scripture study. Sigh. It was heavenly. Sam waited patiently in his crate while I got Rudy dressed and started on his breakfast, then we headed out, warm waffles in hand, to take Sam out for his morning "relief" and a walk. The air was warm, yet fresh, the mountains beautiful. It was great! (Except when two yappy little dogs passed and Sam practically took me off my feet-but like I said-he's a puppy).
Sam and Rudy had a blast with each other all day. Like they were born and raised together. It was so awesome to see them getting each other's 'jokes', playing and running around like madmen. They even begged to outside together. By ten, Rudy was hoarse from all his shrieks of excitement and hilarity, Sam was tuckered out under the kitchen table, and I was basking in the beauty of the friendship between a boy and 'his' dog.
Sigh. This day made me so house trunky. Even though our house wouldn't even be half as big or nice as my parents. Even though the dog we would eventually get would probably be more like those yappy dogs Sam tried to eat this morning than the big beautiful dog he is. Even though everything about house shopping has become absolutely unpalatable to me as of late. Even with all those things, I found myself dreaming of the day when Jason and I would be masters of our own home, with a yard, and the freedom and space to bring whatever animals we want to into it. Spending this time being in charge of this home and it's animal occupants has reminded me how much I love having pets. Sure, I've got Bruce and Clementine at home, but they don't quite fit the 'dog' bill.
It'll be great one day to have a house. In the mean time, I guess I'll just have to keep up my spirits in the drudgery of house shopping with practically no money and pages of government stipulations breathing down my neck. And maybe teach Bruce how to play fetch. (I've heard Betta's are very smart, for fish.) :)
No comments:
Post a Comment