Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Remember when...

This morning I was listening to one of my favorite online radio stations, "Martini in the Morning". It's got great stuff...you should check it out. Lots of big band, they play Frank Sinatra every day at 6 am and 6 pm. But that's beside the point.

The point is, they played "Too Close for Comfort" by Mel Torme. It's on my playlist now, you could listen to it if you want. The lyrics brought me back to Jason and my first (unofficial) date. I thought I'd record the memory here while I'm thinking about it.

I'd been trying to get Jason to myself for weeks. I'd say, "let's go to a movie", and he'd say, "sounds great!" And on the way to the car, he'd invite every person we passed to come along! How frustrating! Anyway, one Saturday afternoon, he called and asked if I wanted to go dancing that evening after his work shift was done. I'd been hinting that he should teach me cause I knew he could only teach one person at a time. Plus, I was interested in learning to dance. Anyway, I was ecstatic! I said sure as calmly as possible, hung up, did a celebration dance through my apartment, and then fell to deciding how I should do my hair and what clothes to wear to optimize my chances of attracting this fine young man. My more experienced roommates filled my head with all sorts of man snagging tips and gave me a huge pep talk about how this was the night of all nights.

In the mean time, Jason wasn't thinking about anything but finishing his work. He envisioned two friends hanging out, and perhaps knocking that "You gotta teach me to dance" thing off the list of things I was nagging him about. Sigh.

Thankfully, (and I believe largely because of my roommate's man snagging tips) the evening ended with us watching a movie on the couch together, with Jason's arm around me. Huge progress from the usual situation of Jason in his comfy chair and me all alone a million miles away with a couch all to myself, or even worse, sharing the couch with the 50 million other people Jason had invited to share the evening with us...er, him.

Later, as we remembered that evening as a couple, Jason confided that when I first planted myself right beside him his brain exploded with questions and concerns about me being so close to him when all we were was friends. Then a little something (his heart, I suppose) whispered "And why are you just friends? Why not be good friends, or even flirty friends?" Hooray for hearts! Jason's decision not to squelch my man snagging attempts that night have led to many a snoodly movie night, though I'm still working on the whole dancing thing. Someday. Someday. :)

2 comments:

Happy Harrison said...

Ah, Young Love!....Cute! Love It!

Kat Curtis said...

Oh Mo - sometimes I forget how hard you make me laugh, and then I read posts like these and it makes me remember (and your little ladybug good omen thing too). Thanks for being you, and I'm glad you picked up some man snagging skills and snagged you an awesome guy!