Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The End Of An Era

It's official. I just put Rudy down for bed with out nursing. He is officially weaned. Maybe I should be happy, but I'm tearing up just writing about it. Boy, if this is hard, sending him off on a mission is going to KILL me!
Rudy handled my taking his last "newurse"ing session away just fine, as I always suspected he would. I realized today that I was holding on to that last session for me, not him. Since I don't want to ever be the reason a child of mine doesn't move on to the next healthy step in life, I had to let go.
Rudy and I had a bumpy beginning before setteling into the comfort of nursing. He had some latching problems which I didn't know needed correcting until one of my nipples was badly injured. Nursing through the healing process was incredibly painful and slow. Every time I cried in pain as I nursed my newborn, I told myself I had to hang in there for the few weeks of pain preceding over a year of satisfied, sweet nursing moments. I'm so glad I did. There is something so sweet about holding your child in your arms, and knowing that you are giving them every bit of nutrition they need. As Rudy grew and moved on to eating solids, nursing became a regrouping time. A time to confirm to each other that we love and cherish each other, even if we sometimes butt heads in the grand adventure of growing up. That, and it was the only way I could get the kid to slow down long enough to fall asleep. :)
Rudy's grown up so much in the 20 months he's been around. This may not be a big deal for him, but for me, it's huge. The end of an era.

3 comments:

Chris said...

I am sorry to hear about your last nursing time with Rudy! I had no idea what you were going through when I called you! I hope you feel better and adjust to this weaning process!

Happy Harrison said...

Congratulations. Onward and upward. Just think, in 10 months there's a good possibility you'll have a new baby attached to you. :)

Maria said...

true. I really need to savor my freedom of movement. I think Jason and I need to plan a weekend away to celebrate. :)