Rudy's latest infatuation is with spiders. He loves them. He spots their webs where ever they are. He talks about them. He draws them (or at least proclaims that the scribbles he's made are "piders!") Our last library trip resulted in five different spider picture books, which he requests to read all the time. Luckily for me, I'm not super squeamish about spiders. Not like the librarian, at least- she couldn't even touch the books. :) I'm not freak out proof, though, as I discovered after reading Rudy several of his spider books before bed. That night I dreamt I was covered in disgusting creepy little parasites, and itched all night long. Eeew. I think I'm getting used to all this spider talk, though-no creepy dreams last night. Plus, it's fun learning new things. For example, most spiders bites (especially tarantulas) are hardly harmful at all to humans. Kinda like a bee sting. And spiders spin their webs (even really intricate ones) in less than an hour. Did you know that there is a water spider who collects air bubbles in a specially woven web allowing him/her to spend MONTHS underwater? They're really fascinating little creatures, and I have my fascinating little son to thank for my exposure to them. I'v even considered getting a pet tarantula, but seeing as they are like $30, I think I'll wait until Rudy's a bit (like years) older and can handle the little guy without risking harm to it. That is, if he's still interested in spiders by then. I'm definitely going to start work on a spider costume for Halloween, though. :) Maybe I could be Miss Muffet. And Jason could be...ummm... any ideas? Maybe just a web. Or a Daddy spider. Hopefully I'll come up with something better than that by October. :)
Thursday, September 3, 2009
Spiders!
Rudy's latest infatuation is with spiders. He loves them. He spots their webs where ever they are. He talks about them. He draws them (or at least proclaims that the scribbles he's made are "piders!") Our last library trip resulted in five different spider picture books, which he requests to read all the time. Luckily for me, I'm not super squeamish about spiders. Not like the librarian, at least- she couldn't even touch the books. :) I'm not freak out proof, though, as I discovered after reading Rudy several of his spider books before bed. That night I dreamt I was covered in disgusting creepy little parasites, and itched all night long. Eeew. I think I'm getting used to all this spider talk, though-no creepy dreams last night. Plus, it's fun learning new things. For example, most spiders bites (especially tarantulas) are hardly harmful at all to humans. Kinda like a bee sting. And spiders spin their webs (even really intricate ones) in less than an hour. Did you know that there is a water spider who collects air bubbles in a specially woven web allowing him/her to spend MONTHS underwater? They're really fascinating little creatures, and I have my fascinating little son to thank for my exposure to them. I'v even considered getting a pet tarantula, but seeing as they are like $30, I think I'll wait until Rudy's a bit (like years) older and can handle the little guy without risking harm to it. That is, if he's still interested in spiders by then. I'm definitely going to start work on a spider costume for Halloween, though. :) Maybe I could be Miss Muffet. And Jason could be...ummm... any ideas? Maybe just a web. Or a Daddy spider. Hopefully I'll come up with something better than that by October. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
A Daddy Long Legs. (Isn't that what they're called-the ones with really long and thin legs that are always hangin' around the hose?)
A tuffet? :) It might be fun to dress up like a couch. Or curds and whey - Jeremy would dress up like something like that. He was a can of tuna once...
Post a Comment