Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Maria and the Terrible, No Good, Very Bad Morning

So. Yesterday I woke up in a foul mood. I was in a project completion slump. (You know, when something you've been working on FOREVER is finally done, and now you don't know what to do with yourself.) I had planned on giving myself and Rudy a day off of multi-tasking to do the two things we both love best: play at the park and go to the library.
Then I looked outside. SNOW. Ugh. Not the beautiful fat snow flakes that just drift slowly and silently down through the air and perch on every twig. The tiny little flakes that howl with the wind and find their way down every opening in your coat.
That was the last straw. I didn't even try to take a shower or get out of my pj's. I resigned myself to being marooned in my house with the after project blues. I huffed and puffed a bit. I ate grasshoppers at nine in the morning. When Jason went to leave after a brief visit between classes, I made sure he knew how miserable I'd be all day long.
And then Bonnie called. She said she'd like to come over to play after naps were done. A glimmer of hope entered my dark mood. Maybe I wouldn't be marooned after all! We agreed to call each other when our kids woke, and finally, I had purpose to my day. A reason to take a shower and even tidy the front room.
With my new found motivation, I finally succeeded in completing the task of getting Rudy and myself ready to go outside that I had started 45 minutes before. That made a world of difference! Just breathing crisp, fresh air. I even shoveled our driveway, and felt it a momentous occasion, because it was the first time I'd shoveled my very own drive. By the time Bonnie arrived with her two girls, I was back to my regular self, and we enjoyed a great afternoon and evening together.
Thank goodness for friends! (And for turtle necks, hats, mittens, long johns, boots, coats, etc. to combat terrible weather.)
This is Rudy, howling with the wind. :)

No comments: