Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The Great Coupon Crusade!


So, I have a bit of a conflict going on in myself. Here I am, trying to save the world by cloth diapering, and I've just signed up to receive THREE Sunday newspapers. Do you know how fat the Sunday paper is?! It's GIANT-and I have three of these suckers arriving at my door every Sunday. Hmmm. What's goin' through that tree huggin' mama's head? I'll tell you:
MONEY. Saving it. Feeding my family and having some dough left over to put away for a rainy day. Or a down payment. Or both. :) Besides, I'm cloth diapering first and foremost for economic, not environmental reasons, and I recycle all my paper anyway, so the whole 20 lbs of newsprint every week thing is not so far off my true priorities. :) Let me explain why I've got half a tree coming to me each week:
I've just been introduced to the coolest coupon organizing, list making, deal digging technique ever: http://www.grocerysmarts.com/. It combines manufacturer's coupons from the local Sunday paper with specials at local grocery stores to come up with stellar savings. And it's super easy and quick to use. Hooray! I'm diving in with three papers to maximize my savings. I'm planning on giving this a shot for 3 months or so, and then deciding if I want to continue. I've heard from a few people (besides the chick who was promoting it) that it's been really great for them. And the best part of it all is that the entire service is FREE. I only have to pay 12 bucks a month to have the 3 Sunday papers delivered. If I really like this, then I think I'll go super stingy and see if I can bum the coupons off neighbors who don't use them, and thus save myself the 12 bucks and the weekly trips to the recycling bin. :) Wish me luck!

Jason and Rudy beginning the great Sunday comics reading tradition. I used to read the comics with my dad. It was so cute to see these two at it. :)

1 comment:

Kat Curtis said...

Hey Mo - I just started that a few months ago. Check out dealseekingmom.com - that's my favorite site. We've saved a ton of money from doing the coupon combo thing. There are a couple of people who are really into this in my ward here. I'm a moderate couponer, but have saved around 80% on things I would normally pay full price for otherwise. Good luck! :)