Monday, July 20, 2009

Breaking and Entering

The other day, we were doing what has become the default time consumer of our little family: looking at houses. Sometimes it's dull, sometimes it's fun, and sometimes it's downright adventurous. This was one of those adventurous outings.

Jason and I were busy checking out what a Springville home had to offer when we simultaneously heard a door slam and noticed that neither one of us 'had' Rudy. Hum. "Rudy...where are you?" I sang down the hallway. Oh, he's in the bathroom. I prepared to do our ritual "knock knock" game, when I realized that the door was locked.
Eeek! Stay calm, Maria, Rudy sounds fine...he's not even asking to be "found" yet. Don't let him know you're worried, and try to reassure your sweating husband that everything is under control. Deep breaths, now. Deep breaths, old girl. This is a simple lock to pick, just find a long skinny something to stick in that hole and it'll pop right open.
Jason procured the inside of his ball point pen. Very Maverick of him, don't you think? Trouble is, it didn't work. Then both Jason and I thought of the same thing at practically the same time: "Isn't there a window in the bathroom?" We headed for opposite exits, both thinking we were taking the quickest route. (Jason's was the quickest, of course. He has a much better sense for space than I do.) I looked at what could easily be a 70 year old window and thought, "Oh no, surely it's painted shut!"
This time, however, we were in luck, the unscreened, unlocked window slide open like it'd been oiled that morning. Jason gave me a boost up to the little window and I awkwardly threw myself in, landing in a crumpled heap at the base of the toilet. Rudy looked at me with a face that said, "Mama, if I had just done that, I'm sure you would have scolded me!" (And I would have!) With Rudy safely rescued, we finished our walk through with a close eye on our little man. Sheesh. What if we'd have had to take the door off it's hinges or something?
I remember being a little tyke myself and accidentally locking myself into a friend's bathroom. They had take the knob off to get at me, 'cause I just couldn't understand what I was supposed to do to let myself out. (I think it was one of those knobs that you push in to lock, or something myserious like that.) Apparently, that bathroom didn't have an accessible window. :)

1 comment:

Nancy said...

That's the best story I've heard all day! :)