Our family canned tomatoes today. Whew. I'm so glad that's done. Canning is one of those things that I dread doing and feel totally overwhelmed with until I get going, and then it's never as bad as I thought it would be. Plus, it's so satisfying to look at the finished product. I raised these tomatoes myself in my grandpa's garden, harvested them on Monday, and bottled them today. My first garden to bottle experience- I hope they turn out well!
Jason and I hurried to core, peel, deseed, and dice the tomatoes while Rudy napped. Then Jason was off to work, and Rudy and I finished up. I didn't think to get the camera out until Jason was gone, so sadly, he's not a part of our photo record of the event. He was a great help, though. I've decided to never can anything alone. It's way more fun to can with someone, and more effective too, I think. Rudy helped to get the bubbles out of the jars before putting the lids on them. And he put a lid or two on. Otherwise, he mostly "backed up" from lots of hot things. Another thing I've decided: don't bottle things with a toddler around if you can help it. It's a bit unnerving with all the potential burn opportunities. This time we all came away happy and healthy, but I'd like to limit our risks in the future.
Jason and I hurried to core, peel, deseed, and dice the tomatoes while Rudy napped. Then Jason was off to work, and Rudy and I finished up. I didn't think to get the camera out until Jason was gone, so sadly, he's not a part of our photo record of the event. He was a great help, though. I've decided to never can anything alone. It's way more fun to can with someone, and more effective too, I think. Rudy helped to get the bubbles out of the jars before putting the lids on them. And he put a lid or two on. Otherwise, he mostly "backed up" from lots of hot things. Another thing I've decided: don't bottle things with a toddler around if you can help it. It's a bit unnerving with all the potential burn opportunities. This time we all came away happy and healthy, but I'd like to limit our risks in the future.
3 comments:
You are the homemaker I sometimes wish I was! I'm always so impressed by all your projects and accomplishments. Your Rudy is such a smarty pants, I couldn't imagine Ella helping with canning without breaking something or burning herself.
looks good! we're in the middle of pears right now. last night we did 20 quarts, and we're not even half done. i LOVE it when canning's over, and you can stack your work nicely away.
what are you doing canning, you crazy?! ;) I can't believe all the things you take on and ACCOMPLISH.
Then again, all that new storage space must just be begging for something to be neatly stacked into it. :)
Post a Comment