Saturday, December 19, 2009

New Hair

So, I've always wanted to dye my hair. Not blond or any other 'natural' color. Pink, or orange, or purple or something. I've wanted to do it since I was like twelve or something. But I couldn't, because that's just not what a stake president's daughter does. Or what a faithful young woman does, or a BYU student, or a new professional, or a Young Women's President. There was always a reason why I couldn't do it, so I just forbid myself to think of it. Most of the time that worked, but every once in a while, the feeling would pop up again, and I would struggle to stuff it back in the 'forbidden desires' box.
This time, I decided to entertain the idea. Yes, I'm back in the Young Women's program, but I'm not the president, at least. I'm just the camp director. So I began seriously considering having very bright hair. I thought about which color, what pattern, and what cut I'd like to go with it. And I thought about all the reasons why I want colored hair, and all the reason's why I shouldn't want colored hair. I wondered how I could call myself faithful if I knowingly went against a prophet's counsel to be moderate in our appearance. (Fire orange with blue tips is anything but moderate!)
I realized that my desire for colored hair had more to do with trying to push people's stereotypes or expectations off of me. I want to do things because I feel they're important, not because other people think I should.
That's about when I had a mini identity crisis, trying to figure out if I am who I am because I want to be, or because other people say I ought to be. After much wrestling around within myself, I realized I really want to be who I am. And I really want to follow my prophet's counsel. And I really don't want fire orange hair with blue tips (even if I do love orange and blue together). :)
I've discovered a new passion to be who I am. To check with myself about whether I'm doing something to be true to myself and the values I hold dear, or to please someone else. It's liberating, exciting, and a bit stressful.
To celebrate my new found identity, I decided to get a new hair style, if not a new hair color. Something fresh, something different from what I'd ever done with my hair before. So I did. And I like it.
I think my secret obsession with dying my hair is finally laid to rest, never again to rise. I finally looked it right in the eyes and looked myself right in the soul and realized I just want liberation from stereotypes and boxy expectations. And that's something no hair color could ever give me. Whew. Glad I figured that out before, and not after I 'took the plunge'.

2 comments:

Samantha said...

I like the new do it looks fabulous!

Happy Harrison said...

SOO cute Maria! I love it!