Thursday, February 18, 2010

Toys

I've been reading and thinking a bunch about the toys I provide for Rudy to play with. More and more, I'm excited about open ended toys. Things that can be ANYTHING, you know? Like sticks, wooden blocks, rocks, pine cones. Maybe I'm sounding a bit, well...granola to you.
When I started talking to Jason about how I'd like to provide more 'natural' toys for Rudy, he was pretty hesitant, thinking maybe I was going overboard on my ambitions to be 'one with the earth'.
Let me explain. I'm not saying I'm gonna pack up all his cool dump trucks, Little People, and hot wheels. I'm just saying that I'd like them to be more of a garnish to his playthings, instead of the main course.
I don't think I even need to do much differently because kids naturally invent ways to play with every day things. I just need to give him the space and freedom to explore the ways he can interact with his world, without too much direction from me. (As in, "Let's go play outside-what would you like to do? Instead of, "Let's go draw spiders with sidewalk chalk!" )
I'm experimenting a bit, and it's been fun to watch the adventures he creates for himself. I just can't get over how cool kids are-the more I can absorb from my little man- the better a person (and the happier) I'll be.
Playing with Kapla blocks at Tante MaryBeth's house. It's just box full of same size blocks, but you can do so much with them! They're totally entertaining for toddlers AND grown ups. :)
Playing 'house' with Sweat Pea.

Having a ride in the wheel barrow.

Exploring other ways to play with the wheel barrow.

This wooden spool brings back so many memories for me. We had one in our backyard when I was about Rudy's age. It turned into just about anything you could think of. An ice cream machine, a boost up to the lowest branches of our tree, a dining table, even a grand fish hotel. (I had a phase when I created dozens of little fish made from barely filled water balloons, and set up extravagant accommodations for them.) :)

1 comment:

k e a l a said...

i love the picture of rudy on the spool..so adorable