Sunday, February 14, 2010

When The Moon Hits Your Eye Like A Big Pizza Pie...


Jason and I went to Pizza Pie Cafe for our Valentine's date. We stuffed ourselves with super delicious-though very high calorie- food, did some fun romantic themed mad libs, and daydreamed about our backyard. (In our dream backyard, we'll have at least one hammock, a sand box, beautiful flowers everywhere, and tasty fruits and veggies ripening in the sun. Nice, huh? We'll see how much of that we manage on a student budget. :)

Pizza Pie Cafe was so AWESOME. And with a buy one buffet (at $6.50) get one free coupon-very affordable too. They had tons of selection for pasta, salad, and pizza. The most original pizza flavor: "Spudilicious" -yes-with thinly sliced potatoes on it. Surprisingly good. Our favorite flavor: Buffalo chicken pizza dipped in ranch sauce. YUM! If you're in the area, we highly recommend a visit-coupons have been in the val-pak mailers the last few times.

On the way to dinner, Jason and I were both expressing thanks to each other for not getting caught up in the hype Valentine's Profiteers would like us to. Commercials get just ridiculous around this time-some defining 'lesser' gifts of chocolate or flowers as total flops compared to the all envied DIAMONDS.
Sheesh. Valentines is always a bit redundant for us anyway, since we celebrate our anniversary only a couple months before. Anyway, we usually let Valentines pass with a trip out to eat and a few handmade valentines and call it good. It keeps it fun, low on the stress factor, and manageable.

I think Valentine's Day is really a much better suited holiday for children. We can focus on expressing love and appreciation to our friends, family, neighbors, postal workers, and what not.

This year, Rudy's old enough to really have a good conversation with, and he has really caught on to the idea of Valentine's Day. It was so fun making cards with him, because he was able to really participate in a significant way. I suggested we make some handprints. He chose the color. (Red-how convenient.) After they'd dried, we talked about what we could do with them.
Looking through our craft stash, Rudy found some googily eyes. "Let's put googily eyes on 'em!" he proclaimed. Ok. What kind of animal do you want to make? I listed a bunch of four legged animals with tails we could turn the hand into. "An Octopus!!" Ok. How are we going to make an octopus into a valentine's card? How about a squid-would that be ok? That way we could say "You're Great-No Squiddin!" Yeah! Say's Rudy. We get started making our squids-one glue stick falling victim to Rudy's "I wonder what will happen if..." symdrome he's developed lately.
A last minute edit by Rudy to change the "You're Great to I love you" (It is a valentine, after all) and we're set.


How fun to actually be able to collaborate with this little guy! I can't believe only 2 years ago we were agonizingly trying to figure out nursing!


1 comment:

Kat Curtis said...

I love your hand tiger and squid - we'll have to try that. You guys are such fun parents. I love the run away game too. Dads are great!