Rudy is so cute. His latest word: nurse.
Poor little man is really having a tough time letting go of nursing. Every morning about 8:30 or so, he comes to me requesting a nip. I tell him, "Nope, we don't nurse until the afternoon now. But you can still nap, just not nurse." (Most of the time, he says something like, "nap? nurse?" as his request.) A meltdown follows, in which I am holding him, attempting to rock him, and he is writhing in the agony of not nursing.
That part's not the cute part. (In case you were wondering about the opening statement of this post and when it would become relevant to the rest of the story.)
The cuteness factor comes in when he asks to nurse. He'll be in full writhing mode, and then decide to try a second (or 52nd) request. Absolute calm, sweet, tear filled eyes peer up at me, and he says in his cute raspy little voice (he's had a yucko cold for about 5 days) "Nurse?" Only it comes out more like "New-urse?" It melts me, but I have to stay firm. The whole meltdown usually lasts less then 10 minutes before he's happily snoozing in my arms, and crib there after.
So, weaning is not going too great, but napping is picking up (hooray!), even if it takes a 10 minute battle to get him there, and even if he only sleeps for 30 minutes or so. (Progress is progress, right?)
3 comments:
Rachel had a pretty easy time with weaning, but she was 18 months old. I'm sure she would have kept going if I let her, but we were starting to naturally peter out, anyways.
The other day (sorry to be graphic) I had just gotten out of the shower and was getting dressed and Andrew asked Rachel if she remembered how to nurse. The child attacked me! And it had been months since she last nursed.
I'm pretty sure she would still nurse if I let her. And if I have milk. But that does go away, eventually (took me a few agonizing weeks).
I was like, "Thanks, a lot, Andrew. We won't be saying that again..."
By "have" I mean "had."
My brain is dead. :)
Yeah! I'm so happy to hear his napping is getting better. I don't know how you do it without naps.
Post a Comment