The event started at 6:30 am. Rudy and I had no trouble getting up for the event, since Rudy's usual wake up time is about 5:30 am. For once, I was grateful. As we pulled up to the Springville Jr. High field, the balloon crews were just getting them all laid out and ready to inflate. What a trip to get to watch these awesome balls of bright color take shape in front of our very eyes! I've always LOVED hot air balloons, so this was kinda like living out a childhood dream. With all the motors blowing air into the balloons, trucks hauling them here and there, and then of course the blasts of flame to give the balloons lift, and think I'm safe in saying Rudy was delighted as well. :) We ran around in a sea of ever growing fantastic rainbow orbs, poking and prodding them as we wished. The air was filled with country music being blasted from loudspeakers, laughter (and a few tantrums) of small children, and the sweet smell of dew covered grass. It was glorious.
As the balloons started taking off, they would through candy and small prizes out to the kids. Rudy tried holding out his hands a couple times, but he was no match for the 5 and older kids who could scramble, jump, and dive for the prizes. No matter, Rudy seemed to just enjoy watching all the commotion. There must have been at least 200, maybe even up to 500 people there at the peak of it all. After all the balloons but one were up, they tethered that one and let every single person who wanted to have a short tethered ride. Unfortunately, Rudy tapped out before it was our turn...oh well, it's a good excuse to go back next year. :) I took tons of pictures; here are just a few.










2 comments:
What a fun experience!!
Crap!! I totally forgot about this. (How is it that I can forget about something that I was told about only one day before hand!!?) It looks like so much fun. Maybe they'll do it again next year...um, never mind, we'll probably have two kids by then, and that might be more work than it's worth.
Anyway, I'm glad you had fun :)
Post a Comment