Saturday, October 4, 2008

Happy Birthday Melanie!

Rudy went to his first birthday party today. Here he is with the birthday girl, Melanie. She's three years old now. Can't you just see the admiration in Rudy's eyes? ("Maybe some day I'll be that big!")
It was a "Royal Birthday party" and the kids were encouraged to wear whatever costumes they had, just to make it more fun. Rudy's costume is Dumbo, minus the head. He's not a fan of the head part of the costume. Good we had this trial run so that I have some time to conjure up an alternative before Halloween. Turns out, it's good he didn't have any head gear today anyway, since the first item of business at the party was decorating your very own crown. Unbelievably, Rudy did not protest to wearing his crown.
Melanie's mom, Julia made this rockin' palace cake herself. The children were amazingly civil when it came down to divvying up the princesses. In fact, the kids were amazing all around. I couldn't believe how non-chaotic it was, considering there were 11 small children in an apartment after it'd already been raining all day. PLUS it was conference today (meaning lots of guys just talking on the TV and no trips to the playground in between sessions). Julia must have the touch when it comes child whispering. :)
While all the big kids were eating cake and ice cream, Rudy and Amy busied themselves exploring a standing toy together. Don't they just look like a match made in heaven? They've been betrothed to each other ever since we found out Amy would be a girl and Rudy would be a boy. Amy's just a few months older, but there's nothing wrong with being into older women, is there Jason?
Rudy with one of his party favors. Cool, huh?
In this picture, I swear Rudy looks like something straight out of a Dr. Seuss book. A Who, maybe. It must be the hair. :)
Waiting for all the kids to finish their crown masterpieces.
Our happy prince.
The Prince and his Princess. Kelsey is Melanie's older sister.
Going to this party brought back so many memories of the parties my parents would throw for us when we were kids. I don't think I'll do a full fledged party for Rudy this year--just a family thing, I think, but it will be fun to put on parties for him as he gets old enough to understand how exciting it all is. :) I think he enjoyed himself today, though he probably just thought it was a decked out play group.

No comments: