Wednesday, October 1, 2008

"Yo Mom, you left the scissors in my pants, dude!"

So, I wish Rudy could have said those words to me last night, as I was closing up his nighttime diaper. Usually, I think I'm pretty in tune with Rudy's needs, but I totally spaced this one. Can you blame me? How many times have you thought, as you're going through the check list of what may be going on with your little one, "Maybe he's got scissors crammed into his diaper."?
I was letting Rudy play with his baby manicure set cover while I diapered him in an attempt to keep the squirming to a minimum. I forgot that the scissors were in there...we never use them. Anyway, I didn't miss them when they were not there after I finished diapering.
Rudy took unusually long to settle into sleep for the night. Then he kept waking up. I thought it was just fallout from his sickness and told myself I wouldn't go in to him until at least 11:00 so that he would snap out of the idea that every time his eyelids flutter open he needs to nurse or be rocked to sleep. I put him down at 7:00 pm. He woke up at 9:30 and cried for 5 minutes before going back to sleep. At 10:30 I folded and nursed him to sleep when he woke up. At 2:00 I was like, "Dude, why are you being so needy?" I decided to change his diaper, and then it all made sense. I would have a hard time falling asleep and staying asleep too if I had a pair of scissors in my pants. I feel so sheepish.
I usually let Rudy figure out how to get himself back to sleep if he wakes up between 5 and 6 am. I don't get him until 6--otherwise he just slowly keeps waking up earlier and earlier. Well, Today he woke up at 5:40 and I zoomed right in to try to make it up to him that I left him to battle the scissors alone and helplessly. Sheesh!

No comments: