I have a new favorite vegetable: red cabbage. I never knew the absolute coolness of it! Mutti gave us one of those cabbage heads we took pictures of Rudy with. Today I brought it out and commenced my first attempt to create a meal with cabbage. The meal turned out pretty edible, that's all I'll say, but the process of preparing it was a delight to the eyes!
As I peeled away the outside leaves of the cabbage head, the most vibrant color of pinkish purple came into view. After I'd cut the head in half, the view was even better! Now I had white marbled through the purple. The coolest part was when I lifted the lid off of the cabbage I was steaming for Rudy. Did you know when you boil red cabbage the water turns bright blue!?
All this was mundane and unexciting to Jason; I s'pose he's been around the cabbage patch a few more times than me. To me, it was something delightfully new and intriguing. I can't believe Mutti grew such an exotic vegetable right under her kitchen window!



No comments:
Post a Comment