Man. If the whole world could approach forgiveness the way little children do, this world would be a much more beautiful place. Heck, if I could approach forgiveness the way Rudy does, my world would be more beautiful too.
So, yesterday was not a model motherhood day. Nope. I woke up in that stressed, "I just can't take it anymore!" mode and hovered just shy of a blow out all morning. (Ever have those days?) Anyway, by the time Rudy had refused his second nap, my hovering was finished. I angrily sliced some cheese squares (hacked away at the cheese block would be a better description of what was actually happening) while Rudy bawled and writhed on the kitchen floor (he was also having a bit of a meltdowny day). Next I slapped the cheese plate down on his table, and plopped him into his chair with more gruffness than I care to admit. I stared him down with what I'm sure was a withering glare and commanded: "Eat!"
There was a moment of shocked silence as Rudy figured out how he had suddenly gone from a meltdown on the kitchen floor to a seated position in the living room. Then he got a look at my glare and changed his cry from angry, impatient protest to sad, forlorn, my mama's mad at me heart break. He got up from his table and kind of wandered down the hall crying in this pitiful way, like I'd just thrown him out of my life and he wasn't sure where he would go or what would become of him.
Now it was my turn to be heart broken. I felt terrible! Through my own tears, I reached out to him and asked him to come back. He hesitated for a moment, then burst into new tears and came running into my arms. He leaned his head on my shoulder and we just rocked for a good 5 minutes or more, until we were both reassured and ready to get on with snack time.
Rudy went to sit at his chair and he happily munched on his hacked up cheese, laughing and kidding with me like he always does. It was a beautiful feeling to know that he was totally over my angry outburst and was ready to enjoy my company again, trusting that my repentance had been sincere. We had fun for the rest of the day, and I am still basking in the beautiful simplicity of his forgiveness.
He let love conquer all the other emotions that were swimming around in his heart, and gave that love to one who had just mistreated him. His example greatly illustrated to me why the Lord would have us become "as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father." (Mosiah 3:10) Parenting is the best! (Even if sometimes I just can't take it anymore!) :)
1 comment:
sniff, sniff. So sweet. This made me feel a little guilty, but mostly grateful (like you).
Post a Comment