Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Weaning Begins in Ernest


I think Rudy looks so grown up in this picture-it's like I'm looking at a little boy instead of a baby. Crazy. Maybe he somehow knew it was time to start growing up this day...

Last Friday, I agreed to babysit for a friend from early morning until just before noon, 'cause Rudy hasn't been taking naps in the morning anymore. I thought I could sneak Rudy's mid morning nursing session in while the two girls I was babysitting watched a movie or something. Well, things were a bit more high maintenance than I had expected. (My friend had been out of town for 3 days by the time it was my turn to watch her girls and they had been juggled around to countless other homes while their dad tried to make it to class and work. That kind of craziness is bound to result in a little craziness in the girls' behavior.) ;) Anyway, nursing just wasn't an option if I wanted to keep the house and all occupants safe and well monitored, so we skipped a the mid morning nursing session and kind of accidentally began the weaning process. Rudy wasn't (and isn't) a huge fan, but he's getting by, and I REALLY want to get things headed towards no more nursing. I guess I'm mostly just doing my normal Maria exaggeration stuff and envisioning a 5 year old Rudy still asking to nurse. I figure if I get started now, Rudy could be weaned by the time he's ready to go to nursery at 18 months. Anyway, while I was babysitting, I let the 3 year old take pictures galore with my camera. Here are a few of her shots, which just so happened to be recording the beginning of a momentous occasion in Rudy's life.


Here I am perched on my couch on "life guard duty". I tried to stay in a neutral position so that I could let the kids play on their own but be able to get to any of them in milliseconds in case intervention was needed. (ie. NO! We don't shove things up Rudy's nose.) :)


I'm fixing some rice cereal for Rudy to replace his nursing meal. I thought he'd appreciate the baby foodness of the rice cereal as opposed to normal table food. As you can see, he's not super stoked to be eating instead of drinking his mid morning meal.


This is about 11:00-2 hours after when we would have usually nursed. Someone looking a bit frantic to you?


When Rudy wants to nurse he goes to his bedroom and pats the rocking chair. When all that patting didn't help, I guess he just gave up, and put himself down for a little rest. Growing up is rough!

No comments: