Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Here's to my very own Brocco-chocolitarian. :)

Rudy's been on some kind of toddler food strike the last couple days. Maybe 'cause he's had a nasty cold (sometimes I lose my appetite when I have a cold), but who knows? He's just wanted to nurse, with the occasional swig of water or bite of rice cereal. Sound like regression to you? Sheesh! I want this kid to be getting away from the whole nursing thing, not reverting back to it! But, my frustrations with the snail pace of our weaning journey aside, I haven't been too worried- I just chalk it up to the crazy things kids do with food at this age.
Anyway, day two of the food strike and I'm trying all his favorites:
cheese-"bleh!" bread- "bleh! bleh!" peaches- (gag) "bleh!" banana- (practically wretches) "bleh!" (shudder) ice cream- "bleh!" CHOCOLATE- "bleh! Oh! Wait...I'll have more of that!"
cheese ravioli-"bleh!" tomato- "bleh!" croutons- "bleh!" chicken- "bleh!" BROCCOLI-"Mmmm!" The kid gobbles up all his broccoli and goes for mine on my plate. I have to bring him seconds, and thirds.


Crazy kid. He'd probably have done the same with the chocolate, had I allowed it. Rudy's culinary tastes today reminded me of a song we used to sing to kind of a regea beat when we were kids. The lyrics went something like this, though not exactly (this is Marykate and Ashley's version-the only one I could find on a 2 second Internet search)

One day I was shopping in my local grocery store.I grabbed a big bar of chocolate.As I was heading for the doorI tossed the chocolate in my cartBeside a stalk of broccoliThey started talking.Talking?Yes!At first I didn't believe

This is the story of broccoli and chocolateIt made the people talk alotAbout broccoli and chocolateA very happy pair

He said, "You make me feel yummy."She said, "Mmmmmm, you make me melt."The first time a veggie and a candy barCould tell each other how they feltShe said, "Being with you is delectable."He said, "Being with you is a treat."He was bright, bright green with envyBecause she was so sweet.

It's all about broccoli and chocolateIt made the people talk alotAbout broccoli and chocolateA very happy pair

As I was walking home that dayThe sun was so hot on my grocery bagThe chocolate melted, the broccoli wiltedWhen their voices stopped, I felt sadBut when I got home...what did I have?Brocco-chocoli!Now i like brocco-chocoli alotMom, it really hits the spot,That broccoli and chocolateA very happy pair

And that's the story of broccoli and chocolateIt made the people talk alotAbout broccoli and chocolateA very happy pair

1 comment:

Happy Harrison said...

Perfect picture!!! It's almost as if he's ruling over his broccoli kingdom with his broccoli staff.