This morning I tried to explain to Rudy about who Martin Luther King Jr. was, and why we have a national holiday to honor him. I told him he lived when his Oma Pat and Opa Boyer (his great grandparents) were younger. He got stuck on the idea that he lived with Oma Pat and Opa Boyer. I let that one go, and moved on to what he did. I told him about how important it was to Dr. King for everybody to have the chance to work, live and go to school where they wanted to. For everyone to be respected and given the chance to chase their dreams. I told him it was so important to him, that he died trying to help people understand, trying to change the way the nation operated. Rudy got really concerned and said,
"He died?"
"He died?"
"Yes, Rudy, he died, because not everyone thought the way he did. Some people still hated other people."
"He DIED?"
"Yep. He died. You wanna see him and hear his voice?"
"Es!" (yes)
So we watched some video footage of his "I Have a Dream" speach and a few tributes. The one at the end of this post was really powerful-I wish I'd have previewed it before Rudy saw some of the graphic pictures, but I think it portrays the realities of the times really well. And I love the message that we can all be great.
I can't say I've studied Martin Luther King Jr. in great depth, but what I do know of him makes me believe that this was a running theme for him. A call for us all rise to the greatness within. To disregard the way it's always been and stand for the way it should be. I'm pretty sure Rudy's understanding of the day is limited to the fact that a king once lived with Oma Pat and Opa and that he died, but I'm sure his understanding will grow as he does. I just hope I can be a powerful example to him in his life about what it means to stand for truth.
WATCH OUT BONNIE! THIS IS PROBABLY NOT A MOVIE FOR AMY TO WATCH. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment