Monday, January 25, 2010

Thankful

I've had a whole bunch of emotions as I've read about and listened to news about the destruction in Haiti.

Sorrow. Confusion. Guilt. Gratitude.

My heart aches for those who are living through the helplessness of being stranded in the midst of destruction, unable to even properly identify and bury their loved ones. Unable to discover the whereabouts of family members. Lacking food, water, shelter, reason for hope. I can't imagine the magnitude of this experience for them. I pray for them. I gave what we could to them, feeling guilty for not giving more. How can I say I need grocery money when they need clean water and medical attention?

Several nights ago, I teared up as I tucked my sleeping little one back under his warm blankets. The cold wind howled outside, but otherwise had no effect on our comfort. I thought of the many families right here in Utah who may be shivering in their car or some other insufficient shelter right then. And of the thousands of parents unable to provide that kind of protection to their children in Haiti, and around the world.

And yet, somehow, I have to keep living my life, keep moving forward, recognizing that this sorrow is not my own, but someone else's. Believing that the Atonement truly can make all things whole again, and trusting the Lord to be at these people's sides, succoring them as only One who has truly suffered for all can.

My eyes have been opened wide about what I'm blessed with. A beautiful, healthy family. A sound home, which protects us from the elements and gives us a place to gather and bask in each other's company. Good, nutritious food. Clean water at the twist of a handle, as hot or cold as I please. A safe community. Every shopping convenience I could hope for within walking distance. Internet access. This list could go on for a LONG, long time.

I will try to show more gratitude for these blessings. I will try to share more with my brother. I will try to be a better steward over the things the Lord has seen fit to place in my life.

1 comment:

Happy Harrison said...

Today I was watching as Sunshine opened a piece of candy while sitting on the counter-tops, swinging her legs and I thought, "I hope she knows how blessed she is." and then I thought to myself, "Do YOU know how blessed YOU are?"

It's good to have those moments. To think, and be thankful. I think that they too (those moments) are gifts from God.

Thanks for sharing.