Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Roudini

So. Yesterday Rudy called me Mama out of the blue for the first time in months. It's my preferred name as a mom, but for some reason, Rudy decided my name would be Mommy several months ago.
Naturally, I made a big deal out of how excited I was to hear him call me Mama, and I told him it was my favorite name to be called. Then I asked him what his favorite name for himself was.
Silence, accompanied by a ponderous face followed. Sometimes he does that when he doesn't understand the question, so I rephrased the question and listed all the different variations of his name that he hears from us or others: Rudy, Rudel, Rude (my least favorite for obvious reasons), Rudy-roo, RuRu...I paused to think if I'd forgotten any and Rudy's little voice chimed in, "Roudini!".
"Roudini?" I asked. He nodded vigorously. "Roudini is your favorite name to be called?" "Es!" (Rudese for yes). Hmm. I've never heard ANYONE call him Roudini before, so unless it's his secret nursery nickname or something, he came up with it all by himself.
A couple of times today he's told me "I'm Roudini, Mommy." (yes, Mama was just a fluke and we're back to Mommy again. Sigh.) Hmmm. Roudini. Daredevil. Escape Artist. Mysterious Death...I'm not so sure I want him to share anything more than a rhyme with Mr. Harry Houdini...but it is kinda cute. Especially 'cause it's Rudy's own made up name for himself. Roudini. I'm warming up to it as I write. (Though he better NOT be introducing himself as Roudini in kindergarten!)

****UPDATE**** Today (two days after the Roudini thing began) Rudy informed me that he's "Just Rudy again". Nice. My fears of kindergarten craziness are quieted. :)




No comments: