Sunday, January 10, 2010

Speaking "Cat"

I've been working on helping Rudy to understand the messages Rufus gives him with his body language and vocalizations. One of the big ones is hissing. It's taken me a while, but I think Rudy finally understands that when Rufus hisses, it means he's had it and Rudy is to immediately BACK OFF!! Rudy sorta gets his feelings hurt when Rufus hisses at him, so I know he's finally understanding the level of emotion Rufus is expressing.
Well, today, when human words weren't getting through, Rudy tried a little cat language. I was trying to get him to change into his church clothes, and Rudy wanted to just keep playing. When I continued insisting and eventually physically removed Rudy from his playthings to get dressed, he full on hissed at me. In total seriousness. When I realized what he was doing, I laughed. (oops!) Then I got control of myself and took my little man seriously. I told him I understood he wanted me to back off, but sometimes Mommies just get the right to stay even when kids want them to back off, and now was one of those times. I wish I could say that Rudy took this explanation in stride, but he didn't. A few kicks, several hisses and a time out later, he was finally dressed and we could all go back to our own splendiferous activities. :)

1 comment:

Happy Harrison said...

That is so cute! (ya know besides the kicking, mean hissing and time out part) It's amazing how quickly they pick up on stuff.